guestfs-release-notes - libguestfs Release Notes
These release notes only cover the differences from the previous stable/dev branch split (1.2.0). For detailed changelogs, please see the git repository, or the ChangeLog file distributed in the tarball.
- guestfish lets you choose a prepared disk image, eg: guestfish -N fs:ext4 - Add write support to guestmount (FUSE) module. - virt-resize can now resize the content of partitions and logical volumes in the guest, and we have better support for shrinking guests. - Bash tab-completion script for guestfish. - Add ZFS support to virt-rescue. - New tool 'virt-make-fs' for creating filesystems with content. - Allow suffixes on any guestfish number parameter, eg. "1M". - guestfish 'man' command opens the manual page. - guestfish supports a "heredoc" syntax for uploading files: upload -<<_end_ /foo content _end_ - Some guestfish commands now print their output in octal or hex where appropriate (RHBZ#583242). - Allow dash prefix on guestfish command line. This ignores any error from the second command: (RHBZ#578407) guestfish -- cmd1 : -cmd2 : cmd3 - guestfish -h / help command now returns an error for non-existent commands (RHBZ#597145). - New 'supported' command in guestfish to list optional groups of commands which are supported by the daemon / configuration. - virt-inspector and guestfish -i now work for filenames which contain spaces (RHBZ#507810). - Change the protocol to use link-local addresses, to avoid conflicting with any address that the host might be using (RHBZ#588763). - libguestfs now sets the correct time and timezone on filesystem modifications. - Sort the domains into alphabetical order in virt-df. - Make mkfs-b command work for FAT and NTFS by mapping the blocksize parameter to the cluster size (RHBZ#599464). - Add version numbers to Perl modules (RHBZ#521674). - Localization now works for all the libguestfs tools (RHBZ#559963). - Tools now support filesystem-on-image VMs (RHBZ#590167). - virt-list-partitions has a '-t' option to show the total size of disks. - Include extra Augeas lenses in the supermin appliance (Matthew Booth). - Add error and close callbacks. - Add explicit close method in the Perl API. - Multiple fixes for RHEL 5 compatibility. - Multiple fixes for Debian/Ubuntu compatibility. - Multiple revisions to improve the documentation.
- Fix a potential DoS in virt-inspector and virt-v2v if a specially crafted disk image contained a char device in place of one of the configuration files that we read under /etc (RHBZ#582484).
- aug-clear - clear Augeas path - available-all-groups - return a list of all optional groups - base64-in - upload base64-encoded data to file - base64-out - download file and encode as base64 - checksum-device - compute checksums on the contents of a device - checksums-out - compute checksums of multiple files in a directory - debug-upload - upload a file to the appliance - fallocate64 - preallocate a file in the guest filesystem - fill-pattern - fill a file with a repeating pattern of bytes - get-umask - get the current umask - lvresize-free - expand an LV to fill free space - ntfsresize - resize an NTFS filesystem - ntfsresize-size - resize an NTFS filesystem (with size) - part-del - delete a partition - part-get-bootable - get the bootable flag of a partition - part-get-mbr-id - get the MBR type byte of a partition - part-set-mbr-id - set the MBR type byte of a partition - pvresize-size - resize a physical volume (with size) - pwrite - write to part of a file - resize2fs-size - resize an ext2/3/4 filesystem (with size) - txz-in - unpack compressed tarball to directory (RHBZ#580556) - txz-out - pack directory into compressed tarball (RHBZ#580556) - vfs-label - get the filesystem label - vfs-uuid - get the filesystem UUID - vgscan - rescan for LVM physical volumes, volume groups and logical volumes - write - create a new file - zero-device - write zeroes to an entire device
- Extend the generator to support testing optional features. - Stricter checks on input parameters to many calls (RHBZ#501893 RHBZ#501894) - Extend the protocol to support sending arbitrary 8 bit data buffers. - Ship 'BUGS' file with releases. This is a summary of the bugs in the Red Hat Bugzilla database. - Ship 'RELEASE-NOTES' file with releases, containing release notes. - Unify supermin appliance building into one place, in febootstrap 2.7. - Fix the protocol code to handle the case where both ends send cancel messages at the same time.
- 612178 guestfish: using -m option in conjunction with --listen option causes appliance to die - 610880 libguestfs should set broader read perms on tmpdir, so works in some situations when executed with umask 077 - 604691 OCaml bindings are not thread safe - 603870 Updates to Spanish translation - 602592 [RFE] expose guestfs_close in perl bindings - 600977 virt-df -h --csv "Argument .. isn't numeric in printf" - 599464 mkfs-b does not support vfat/ntfs - 598807 add_cdrom does not work in RHEL 6 - 598309 part-list and several other cmd failed on libguestfs on RHEL5 - 597145 guestfish 'help' command should indicate error in exit status with an unknown command - 597135 guestfish write-file cmd does not check "size" parameter - 597118 A warning should be given in the help of mke2journal-L for the length of label - 597112 get-e2uuid should use blkid instead of "tune2fs -l" to get filesystem UUID - 596776 virt-inspector doesn't discover modprobe aliases on RHEL 3 guests - 596763 Updates to Spanish translation - 593292 Updates to Spanish translation - 592883 can not edit files on images mounted with guestmount cmd - 592360 Updates to Spanish translation - 591250 virt-tar prints "tar_in: tar subcommand failed on directory" if the archive is compressed or not in the right format - 591155 virt-tar prints "tar_in: tar subcommand failed on directory" if a disk image is not writable - 591142 virt-inspector should give an error for unrecognized disk images - 590167 virt-inspector and other virt tools should be able to handle filesystem-on-image VMs - 589039 guestfish read-file cmd will cause daemon hang when read large files - 588851 guestfs_launch() returns -1, but guestfs_last_error() == NULL - 588763 libguestfs should use non-public or link-local addresses for appliance network - 588733 Updates to Spanish translation - 588651 guestfish 'strings-e' cmd does not give proper error message or hint - 587484 lvresize can't reduce size of a volumn - 585961 Updates to Spanish translation - 585223 ntfsresize should support shrinking filesystems - 585222 pvresize should support shrinking PVs - 585221 resize2fs should support shrinking filesystems - 584038 Updates to Spanish translation - 583554 [FEAT] mknod-mode command is needed to set mode explicitly - 583242 [RFE] guestfish should print outputs in a suitable base (eg. octal for modes) - 582993 guestfish eats words when tab completing case (in)sensitive paths - 582953 Misleading help information about lvcreate command - 582948 mknod command doesn't make block, character or FIFO devices - 582929 mknod doesn't check for invalid mode - 582901 guestfish chmod/umask commands do not check invalid mode value - 582899 guestfish:sparse is missed from command autocomplete list - 582891 [Feature Request] behavior and return value of guestfish umask cmd should be changed - 582548 [mknod] umask shouldn't take effect when mode is set explicitly - 582484 some guestfish sub commands can not handle special files properly - 582252 Updates to Spanish translation - 581501 Updates to Spanish translation - 580650 virt-inspector warns "No grub default specified at /usr/lib/perl5/Sys/Guestfs/Lib.pm at [...]" - 580556 request for libguestfs to support .txz tarballs - 580246 tar-in command hangs if uploading more than available space - 580016 aug-ls in guestfish does not take augeas variable as argument - 579664 guestfish doesn't report error when there is not enough space for image allocation - 579608 multiple commands in guestfish can not work for symbol links - 579155 libguestfs hangs if qemu doesn't start (in null vmchannel mode) - 578407 the prefix '-' in sub-command isn't handled by guestfish in remote control mode - 576879 libguestfs protocol loses synchronization if you 'upload' before mounting disks - 559963 libguestfs Perl programs do set locale, but still localization doesn't work - 521674 Perl modules are unversioned, but should carry version numbers - 516096 Race condition in test_swapon_label_0: /sbin/blockdev: BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy - 507810 guestfish -i / virt-inspector cannot handle spaces in filenames - 502533 Updated Polish translation of libguestfs - 501894 Some String parameters should be OptString - 501893 String parameters should be checked for != NULL - 501889 write-file does not support strings containing ASCII NUL - 484986 grub-install fails on virtio disk
guestfs-examples(1), guestfs-faq(1), guestfs-performance(1), guestfs-recipes(1), guestfs-testing(1), guestfs(3), guestfish(1), http://libguestfs.org/
Richard W.M. Jones
Copyright (C) 2009-2020 Red Hat Inc.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools
When reporting a bug, please supply:
The version of libguestfs.
Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc)
Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it.
Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report.